Saturday 20 December 2014

My Christmassy Week

iPhone 5S: Camera+, Image Blender, texture by DistressesFx, VintagePhoto, Filterstorm

"I'm dreaming of a white Christmas
with every Christmas card I write ..."

I was feeling creative last Saturday and made some Christmas cards. I punched coloured cardboards with either a heart or an  angel paper punch, gluing them to the cards, together with a ribbon. Thursday evening I wrote the cards, listening to carols and sipping tea ... And now they're stamped and on their way, thanks to my sweet husband, who patiently waited at the post office to get the stamps.


iPhone 5S: Camera+, VSCOcam, Snapseed, FocalLab

Christmas Carols have been echoing at my work as well, as the children have been decorating the classrooms.  Watching them I remembered an occasion from my own kindergarden class: I was 6 years old, and we were making Christmas collages. We had a dark blue cardboard, where we glued some cotton balls as snow - and I was allowed to sprinkle some silver glitter to the sky, for stars ... The collage is printed on my mind - being a magical piece of art, our kindergarden teacher inspired us to make. 

On Friday some of the students performed the old Nordic tradition, Lucia - bring the light. The Lucia day is actually the 13th of December, but we delayed the Lucia-tradition to Friday, when the parents were invited to school to Christmas workshops at the classes.


Rick Steve's European Christmas Part 4: Norway

The Christmas traditions in Scandinavian countries are very similar. The video above shows both the Lucia-tradition, the pepperkakkor-cookies and the Christmas porridge with almonds, that among others are a part of the Danish Christmas traditions.

Last but not least - I have been introduced to a fun and creative doddle game, a smart phone app called Draw Something. I am newbie but find it nice and relaxing: Draw one of the 3 words suggested - and try to guess the words, that co-players have drawn. If you already are doodling away at Draw Something, I'd like to guess your word - you'll find me as Niksu12.


Happy Weekend greetings, 
Nina


17 comments:

  1. Way to be creative! I love your cards. I remember learning about Christmas traditions around the world when I was little. I am enjoying relearning as I have forgotten so much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful cards, Nina...and your photo is gorgeous!!!...:)JP

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely photos, Nina. And what a sweet video to explain the St. Lucia tradition. It all looks so magical. All the best for a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Bonny

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful post, from your lovely cards to the heavenly voices of the children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post today brings a sweetness to this time of year. Your cards are lovely and the video was so angelic....Merry Christmas....

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nina, what a beautiful video you have shared with us. Just to see the different traditions blessed my heart. I love that only white candles are used with greenery.

    Thank you for stopping in to visit my space as it brought me here to visit with you.

    Merry Christmas to you and many blessings for the New Year.
    Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  7. How creative!!!! Good for you.
    Maybe next year I'll be in a better state of mind to follow your lead.
    diane @ thoughts and shots

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your cards are wonderful! and I love your ornament edit! Have a blessed Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the Lucia tradition! So beautiful! Your first image is gorgeous, so simple and so festive at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We struggle with the notion of removing Art from the curriculum in the States and THIS is just one example of why that should never happen. Seemingly little things can have a life time of inspiration - creativity should never been undervalued. Merry Christmas Nina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicki,
      I can understand your concern on the possibility of having the Arts classes removed from the curriculum - I hope it doesn't happen - Art gives so much and it gives an important balance to the humanistic & mathematical sciences.
      I hope you have had a lovely Christmas, with your home "full" (with your sweet young adults :)

      Delete
  11. Such lovely cards you've created, Nina !
    And what a beautiful Christmas tradition !
    Wishing you and yours a wonderful Christmas time ...
    Sylvia

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun to see a fellow card maker. :) Love making my own cards year round; especially adding something personal about the person I'm sending a Birthday card. So far, they've been a hit. Really like your graphic. I love sending and receiving Christmas cards, but sadly my list has gone from about 30 to 40 received to approx. 12. I'm still a fan of snail mail. Ever since a child, I've loved receiving and sending mail. I try to send something a couple times a month to my grandson and he seems to like receiving a surprise note in the mail. I do Postcrossing and just this week received a lovely handmade postcard from Finland. So fun. Have a nice Chrismas Nina.
    Oh, and my hubby is big fan of Rick Steves...watches him almost every day. Traveling through his series is interesting. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your sweet note, Peabea! Making cards is relaxing and I love to hear that you craft them as well. I bet your grandson is happy getting a card and a greeting - snail mail is always a wonderful surprise! I have not heard about Postcrossing ... that sounds interesting! I should be making cards more often - for me it is around Christmas time, and also to Birthdays every now and then.
      So now we need to inspire one another with card making, don't we!

      Delete
  13. I love the texture you have added to that image of the single ornament!!!! So elegant!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your Christmas bauble's shot is so pretty and elegant, Nina. I really like your cards, too. I just love sending and receiving snail mails. :) I really like how you celebrate Saint Lucia's Day (thanks for the video!), we do celebrate it too in Italy, but differently:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Lucy%27s_Day#Italy
    Merry Chrismtas to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kia,
      Your Lucia tradition in Italy sounds lovely - I like how the children are leaving coffee for Lucia, carrots for the donkey and a glass of wine for Castaldo :-) Cultures and traditions are interesting and charming ... I'd love to visit Italy in Christmastime!

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I read and enjoy them all and I'll do my best to to hop on over to your blog for a visit.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
//